View Single Post
      07-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I don't know about that. After all, Porsche did develop the 7 speed manual transmission for their latest 911. I think Porsche is a company that understands purists will always want a manual transmission and will continue to improve the technology.

They are a rather stubborn company when it comes to tradition/heritage, i.e. insists on pushing the rear engine platform as their top end model despite the fact that the mid-engined Boxster/Cayman actually handles better.
Actually, Porsche is just the oppossite in treating their development with their heritage and customers. Most of the time, they use their "heritage" as a marketing gimmic: see 911 Sport Classic and the Boxster S Spyder (the original 2006 version, not the 2010).

Porsche requires their customers to change, and their customers are too loyal not to buy a Porsche: water cooled 911, all wheel drive 911, 7 speed, drive by wire steering, paddle shifters, etc. In fact, the 928 was supposed to be a complete replacement for the 911 in the 80's.

I can guarantee you, if Porsche had their way, there would be no more 911, the Cayman would be it's replacement and the Cayman would get the technology and power it really deserves.

Bottom line, with all this new technology, it's like slam dunking on one of those height adjustable basketball hoops and claiming to be better than Michael Jordan.
Appreciate 0