View Single Post
      02-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #15
SunDevil_M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
On never seeing another car like the 1m, I don't think that's true at all. The M2 is superior in just about every dynamic way but steering, and follows the exact same formula of small 2door practical FR coupe with a turbo 6, flares and a manual

The 1M is expensive because it's extremely rare, not because it's especially good compared to its contemporary cars, IMO. Good car, but there's no secret sauce.

Still a hoot of a car, but the M2 is just as much of a hoot, with a lot of the problems the 1M has fixed (and some new problems, like an extra 100+lb and steering that isn't super great). The 1M appeals to people who want a rare car that doesn't have mandatory idrive and has hydraulic steering, and there's no where else to get that, but it's not the kind of step-change/shift in philosophy the move from E9x to F8x represents.
The M2 might be superior in power but the 1M is everything the M2 is not. I have driven an M2 Comp dozens of time. Is it a fun car because of the stupid power it has and the electric steering.. yes. Do I feel as connected to it as I did even my E90? No. Newer cars which are more 'superior' lack the character older cars do. Hence why E30, E36, and even the E46 are as desirable as they are today. I know countless people who have went to the F8x platform then came back to the E9x platform because of lack of driver connection and feel.