View Single Post
      01-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #34
frankc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3/4, 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

I did this job while I had the sub-frame off for the rod bearing replacement. With the sub-frame, radiator fan & PS lines out of the way, most everything was easily accessible from the bottom except for the bolt behind the harmonic balancer (car was on a lift).

The car had 110K miles at the time, and the oil filter housing appeared to be seeping as there was a little oil residue below it. Since every BMW I have owned (except the i3 ) has leaked oil from the oil filter console, I figured it would never be easier than now to do the job with the sub-frame out.

Since the right Cam Cover gasket was also leaking, I decided to replace L & R Cam Cover gaskets along with the Valve Cover gaskets. No leaks so far after about 700 miles (fingers crossed). Of course "while I was in there", I replaced all belt idler pulleys (just the pulleys, not tensioners), and installed the Macht Schnell underdrive pulley kit with new belts.

One thing I did to keep track where of the various size/length bolts go in the oil filter housing is to print out a full-page image from post #20, and then punched the bolts through the paper in the correct spot as I removed them from on the housing. This saved some time on re-assembly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
IamFODI365.50