View Single Post
      12-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #32
fs34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
At what mileage and age did your oil filter housing gasket start leaking?

I was planning on doing it preemptively but seeing this DIY makes me less inclined to do it. I just don't feel like getting into the mess of cooking system fluid from water pump removal.

Perhaps I can do it with the belts I plan to replace early next year.
Probably around 85-88k? Started as an occasional drop on the garage. Then more. I delay repairs like this until Christmas break.

The job isn’t that bad. Just a bit tedious with part removal. Coolant spill wasn’t too bad, I drained the radiator and sucked out the coolant after removing the Tstat housing. Very little spilled, most of it came from tstat housing removal. Next time I will use a fluid extractor via the expansion tank. I did this when I replaced the tstat last year and hardly spilled a drop.

Also, you can replace most of what you take out for a decent amount of money. All in, I’m about $300 in parts. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in a parts list. I saved by sourcing deflector pulleys instead of buying the whole OE assembly. I’m replacing the gasket, pulleys, belts, water pump, and coolant. This job gave me an excuse to get a pneumatic air bleeder for the refill of the coolant, I’m pretty exited to use that and avoid having to bleed the system manually.

God bless this site and those that have documented things like this, I wouldn’t have done this much without all of this great info.
Appreciate 0