07-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #123
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

This is NOT the 1980's. Tracking is MUCH MORE POPULAR now. BMW's are MUCH MORE POPULAR now too. And I always go back to Porsche. Why is it they can bring all these limited run cars here and make money on them? I'm not talking GT3-RS, or 4.0. I'm talking cars like the Cayman R, Cayman Spyder; these cars have special engines that are rated higher than the standard engine. Porsche is way too small to be losing money on any car (well, not anymore since VW took over).

The M3 is the higher rated three series so what exactly is the point you are trying to make? The engine in the M3 is already more performance compared to a 328 or 335.

And BMW does get it. I don't think most people here do. As for the 1M being a parts bin special- umm what do you think everyone else does? They develop one drivetrain and share it, one brake system etc. The C63 is nothing more than a parts bin car etc.

The Cayman S and R are both handicapped to not out perform the 911- The 1M with the M3 engine would have outperformed the M3 and that is a no-no in marketing world. But on many tracks it does outperform and it is smaller and weighs less so it is more nimble.

As for the mark up- I know a lot of people that paid sticker (some even less) for the 1M and that is not a BMWNA issue as they do not control the dealer's final price nor can they because of franchise laws that is free market economy.

How is this different? It's not.

BMW:
335is
M3

Porsche:
Cayman
Cayman S
Cayman R