Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Sounds like a fun day!
Good luck with the balance of keeping the second M streetable yet track worthy. I had a pretty good setup in the second M with the Quickfit Pro harnesses, PFC front BBK and MCS 2WNR suspension.
Whenever I drive an M on track, regardless of whether it is stock with camber plates of fully modded I'm really amazed at the excellent balance these cars have.

What are you planning to do about the limp modes?
Yeah I'm glad I went. Definitely want to drive that track again.

Did you run the Quickfit Pro with a stock seat? I have no idea how that stuff works.

So, regarding the limp mode----I looked at it today and I figured out the problem. My car has a valvetronic exhaust. As I mentioned before, I don't know the brand. I don't know if it's a commercially sold product. It might be a custom one-off. I have no idea.

Anyway, in my write up, I said that, as I was leaving for the 3rd session on track, I tried to open the valves of the exhaust but it didn't work. I didn't realize it at the time, but an airline that goes from the engine bay back to the exhaust broke and the silicon tube was dangling under the car. I saw it for the first time when the tow truck driver was putting my car on the flatbed. At the time I didn't even know what the tube was for. As I understand it (and I don't know much about valvetronic exhausts), the air line somehow helps controls the valves. Perhaps someone else could weigh in and share some info about that.

Today, I went and bought a coupler so I could reconnect the broken line. But before connecting it, I did an experiment. First, I started the car and tried to drive. Less than 100 ft later----limp mode. I parked the car back on the driveway, and then installed the coupler. I started the car and drove off without any issues. So, the broken air line was the cause of my limp modes.

What I'd like to know is, why did the line break....is it aging out? Do track speeds somehow create too much pressure in the line? And what do I do from here?.....leave my fix in place? Do I replace the whole line? I don't know. I went to an auto parts store to see if they had the line. They didn't have anything like it and said the tubing is really expensive---like $20-30/ft. Yikes. (They recommended I look into Gates brand tubing.)

So, the car runs again.....the question is do I pursue a more complete fix? We'll see....
Appreciate 0