View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #21
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

looking at a bigger scope, the whole car industry is becoming more like a 2yr cellphone plan.

new cars live shorter lifecycle, and instead of each model being "special", it's more of mix & match of available engine + chassis not only within a company, but across different companies
And the customers are willing to take it, more and more people are leasing their cars, "most" ppl keep their cars 3~5yrs max

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I personally think they'll end up appreciating in value over time when it ends production. Seems to be a trend for these M3/M4s to depreciate and then start to appreciate in value overtime well over when production ended
Not really, if you've looked at the whole progress from e46~E9X~F80~current gen upcoming, you'll see why it will never appreciate in value

the whole point of F80 was "bigger torque, turbo"
-so BMW ditched NA high rev complicated yet so unique to BMW M engine --> we've got the turbo
-But you remember that since 1978, BMW's M motor recipe was a high rev NA, factory Individual throttle body heart in the center, right? --> who cares, we've got the tuned 335i turbo
-so they just take a N54 and put 2 different turbos (Mitsubishi's by the way) and call it an M motor.. --> yea we've got turbo
-electronic steering...jeez.. --> yea we've got turbo
-sounds like shit by the way --> yea we've got that turbo

Now, G80 will carry TURBO, more power + torque, more advanced techs, possibly lighter, hoping it sounds better, AWD option...so what's so special about F80 M3? or better yet, why would you keep an F80? is it faster or as fast as G80? handle/feel better? sounds amazing? any unique features? No to all...
after all, F80 was simply a bridge between a remarkable BMW M's pinnacle NA motor and now an updated, revised turbo M car that carries AWD.
And ppl will remember it as "oh that tuned 335i motor with lawnmotor exhaust"

Last edited by jaehshim; 03-15-2019 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 4
shimmy232351.50
Transfer5260.00
Siajoon1862.50
ciges90.50