Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
You missed the point. Right tool for the right job. It's a simple concept.

Why would you take a heavy factory car, with an IRS and an engine that produces minimal torque, and try to make a fast 1/4 mile racer out of it? The logic if flawed.

However, taking the same car, and pushing it to it's limits as a track car sounds perfectly reasonable, and expected.

Or this, a track car that you can still put a license plate on and drive it to work on monday and yet is still competitive? Isn't that taking the E9X M3 to its intended performance limit?

I don't find a 140 mph trap speed impressive unless it's a high 9 or low 10 second car.

If you wanna drag race these cars, and do something impressive, do a standing mile or half mile event and be competitive.

Sure why not take a 1.5L civic and dump a stupid amount of money in it just to run a semi fast 1/4 mile time. It's the same thing, literally.
Why? Passion is why. You love a platform and you push it. It's that simple.

Last year at Global Time Attack's Super Lap Battle at Buttonwillow, I was chatting with some guys that had a Miata running in the Unlimited Class. This thing had a supercharger in it running 20psi----not a turbo.....a supercharger running 20psi. (My supercharger runs 6.5psi.) It had massive aero, huge tires (for a Miata). They were having all kinds of problems with it----overboost and pushing oil through the seals and who knows what else. With all their problems, they still ran a faster time than me in practice. But they could never get it back running properly when the times counted. I ask you-----is it worth pushing that Miata platform so hard? Maybe to you and me it isn't, but they were surely passionate about it.

All this to say, let's just give filinm3 a pat on the back and say congrats. He set a new bar for an E9x M3. And I suspect he's not done. Would it be worth it to you if he gets into the 9's?
Appreciate 0