Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I achieved the same results by changing the tensioners more than a year ago. In a year a half now I didn't hear the clunk except once or twice. Every time I start the car now I turn the ignition on wait like 10 -20 seconds with my foot on the break then start the car I only get one single clunk that is not noticeable at all. The starter theory is another thing I might look into.

Can someone explain the mechanism of starting the car? I mean what exactly happen when we press the brakes? it must enables something in order to let the car start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
just a quick update to those that care... my check valves were replaced today.

unfortunately only 3 of the 4 were done, cause the shop ran out of time. they gonna do the last one mon / tues next week (long weekend here, thursday off, most people taking friday off).

i'm letting the car 'sit' as we speak. going to let it sit over night + what its been already sitting. by tomorrow morning it will have been sitting for well over 12 hours.

by the way, a new development:

so i noticed the following, easiest to explain in a Hour:Minute:Second play by play:

00:00:00 : Car has been sitting for a number of hours, lets say 8, after doing a normal drive to the super market, or a highway drive.
00:00:01 : Start the car
00:00:02 : GRIND!
00:00:05 : Turn off the car
00:00:06 : Star the car
00:00:07+ : No GRIND

( so far the above has been explain in my original post, the grind happens, only on first start, during cold start )

the following is new:

00:00:10 : car off.

now, if I let the car sit for another 8+ hours, but in the previous "run cycle" (dont really know what to call it, you understand tho) the oil has not reached anywhere near full temperature, the noise is MUCH quieter the next start. so engine (OIL!) temp has some sort of influence on weather the noise takes place or not.

08:00:00 : start
08:00:02 : GRIND, but MUCH MUCH quieter. at times, completely not noticeable.

i have observed the above 4 times now. this week has been a quiet one for me driving wise, so there were a few times i did a quick start + stop without actually leaving anywhere which is what lead me to this observation.

hope this makes sense.

yet more evidence pointing towards this being some sort of 'oil bleeding' issue. seeing as after a quick on + off, the oil is probably quite thick and has a harder time bleeding down?

we'll see how the 3 of the 4 check valves do tomorrow. shity that only 3 were done, but my mechanic is swamped, they just had no time today :/ all good tho, 4th one gonna be done for sure, paid for labor already actually

thanks!

oh, in a few hours ill grab the old ones from my vehicle and do a couple of snaps for those who are interested.
Appreciate 0