12-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #29
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post

The factory MSS60 has flat-plane tables built into it, but I'm told the firing order doesn't match these cams. I'm also told that there are other tables that allow you to change the firing order. So I don't think it will be a problem. If it is, then we rewire the harness to get the correct firing order.
Correct...sort of. The mss60, as with most of the factory ECUs has some configurability as to how many cylinders, banks, lambda banks, cylinder groupings, etc. While there are other options that exist within the calibration area of the DME, none of them match anything useful. However, in the program area, if the executable binary itself is modified, you can alter the details of what the calibration area choices actually choose for engine configuration.

I'd have to think it through more, but I don't think switching the harness around would work as desired. The mss6x DMEs have a Time Processing Unit (TPU) and each cylinder is programmed with a time offset from a zero reference, with that zero reference being Cylinder 1 TDC. With all of the TPU driven functions such as ionic knock sensing, misfire detection, anti-bucking, etc being driven per cylinder, I think it would be asking for more headache to go that route than modify the binary in the first place.

I think what Ian is referring to in the limitations of the stock DME is the absurdity of time needed in fully developing calibration tables on a reflash-based ECU for what is essentially a new engine. The time it would take to disable closed loop fueling, fully develop all the VE tables, fully develop the ignition tables, fully develop the transient fueling, and so on would be immense when it takes so long to make a single change and see the results. On an standalone ECU with live tuning where you can make those changes while loaded on the dyno and immediately see the results, that whole process takes hours. Now, factor in that these DMEs are torque based and once the entire fueling and ignition phases are complete, you would want to go back and develop the torque tables so that the DSC and DCT behave as desired.
Appreciate 7
IanMan384.00
BPMSport3386.50
jdamore432.50
jvictormp881.00