View Single Post
      07-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
TLDR: Should I trade my E92 M3 for a 997 Carerra S?

It was a beautiful Saturday morning, I was out for my weekly joy ride in the E92 with the windows down enjoying the symphony of 400 horses singing in unison when inevitably I hit traffic. Rather than allowing this piece of engineering marvel to remain stuck between a beige-ish brown Honda Oddesy, and a 50-shades-rust 1980's Mustang, I took the next turn off of my usual route and ventured into unknown territory. After driving a few miles I stumbled across the brand new Porsche dealership. Having just been completed a few months ago, I have only heard of its grandiose but had yet to see it in person. I decided to take a quick stop to see the new dealership - my first mistake.

After perusing the glorious GT2's, Turbo's, and the like, I came across a 997. Now this 997 was particularly special as it had a unicorn color combo, and some aftermarket bits.

She's a 2006 911 S, Carerra White on "Special Natural Leather Cocoa Extended" as the tag read. This juxtapose color combo mixed a stark white exterior with a rich, dark brown leather interior. Stepping inside felt like entering a 1960's cigar lounge and draping an English leather smoking jacket upon yourself.

The car was enthusiast spec with a 6 speed, manual seats, sport chrono package, PASM, Bose soundsystem, and not much else from the factory. With a few high end performance mods, I was intrigued and proceeded to the nearest salesman. Eager to help, he began to tell the story behind the car -

Apparantly a mid 70's retired man owned this car for many years prior, and is an avid Porsche enthusiast. He is the president of Porsche CCA in our region, and meticulously maintained this car as his personal vehicle and weekend track star until he traded it for a Carerra T. I was skeptical at first as this sounds like the textbook "ideal previous owner" of a used Porsche. After speaking with a local friend involved in the PCCA and providing a pic of the car, he confirmed in fact that this is the truth. The previous owner truly is a retired mid 70's Porsche enthusiast and he even provided pics of the car at events. I couldn't believe it. The salesman provided receipts for work done in the last year including RMS, clutch, tires, suspension, and brakes.

I took the car for a test drive and thoroughly checked it out, and started to seriously consider it.

The few concerns I have are mileage at 72k miles, and the fact that the car was tracked often for many miles. Being a well loved and enthusiast owned vehicle, these concerns are minimized yet still prevalent.

I do love my E92 M3 and am truly unsure whether or not to do it. Advice is much needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0