View Single Post
      05-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
To be honest, I don't really like any of the options right now. The iPhone is nice, but it doesn't work well for business. The first one wasn't made for that, so it's expected. Blackberry's network sucks and you have to rely on back end connectors with Exchange, or desktop sync which isn't practical anymore. Windows Mobile has the best features, everything build in, Activesync, etc, but most devices right now suck. It's pretty much anyone's game at this point.

I see Blackberry as being on it's way out. They were great when they were the only one, but now their methods are old and cumbersome. They certainly wont be gone for quite a while though, there is a lot of corporate investment still, and they are starting to innovate on the newer devices. Either way, relying on their network has proven to be their biggest weakness.

I can say that working on the IT side, the WM devices are a dream for me. Since they have Activesync built in, all you have to do is add all your Exchange settings in the phone and you're done. Blackberry needs Enterprise Server setup and activation on the devices. And the iPhone right now is the worst, requiring you to actually maintain a secondary POP/SMTP or IMAP link to even get the mail. The new v2 firmware will include Activesync though and make them one of the best devices.

So at the moment? Hell, there isn't anything I really like, however, by the end of the year we will have the new iPhone and a couple of vastly improved WM devices to choose from.

I don't think you understand how blackberry works. The "network" to which you are exposed is the providers network. The blackberry network is only as fast as the internet, but they are on a rather speedy connection, so that's not an issue. If you have setup your blackberry correctly, they are going out and polling your SMTP mail, or whatever you have, and then passing that data to your provider, who then sends it over the wireless network. The wireless network is clearly the weak link in the speed game.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0