11-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #55
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Marza View Post
Ah you guys have me going back and forth still! I am not that intense and am still getting some lessons (will be doing a lot more starting mid December) and do not anticipate being that crazy on the track, which makes me think Motul will be fine, but at the same time reading what you just said (thank you for that info btw!) I do not want to keep changing my brake fluid all the time. I just googled SRF wet boiling point and its all the way to 520F! How often would I have to change the Motul 600 vs the Castrol? Is the jump from 420F to 520F just overkill? I would pay extra to avoid doing more labor.
I just realized you just had your fluid changed out. I'd just get a bottle of cheap ATE to flush the calipers, and run that for two years, like BMW specifies. I'm too cheap to waste fresh brake fluid.

As for the SRF vs. Motul, it's always up to the owner. Technically, you're suppose to at least bleed (drain a little fluid from each caliper) the brakes before each event to ensure the fluid in the caliper isn't boiled and is relatively fresh. Once brake fluid has been boiled, it basically sucks and is pretty much useless for the track since the boiling point REALLY drops once it's been boiled. It'll work ok for normal street driving, so you may not notice it. Some fluids will advertised their "recovery boiling temp" after it's been boiled, but it's going to suck no matter what.
SRF would theoretically allow you to keep using it for a couple years before a full flush since it has such a high wet boiling point, particularly with an bleed once in a while before track events (or maybe even after a couple track events ).

There's a lot of discussion on SRF vs. other fluids on bimmer forums (one word) dot com "Track section" if you search SRF.
You may want to get some exhaust thermal wrap for the S pipes at the diff location. I still need to do this, but will probably just thermal coat the exhaust when I'm due for my first smog test.

If you're really interested in getting on the track, consider the BMWCCA.org: https://myaccount.bmwcca.org/PortalT...EmailCheck.cfm
They run a very safe event and are perfect for the novice/new track person because every car has an instructor and there are strict passing rules. The last event at Buttonwillow had a lot more women than normal, which was great because they don't get enough people and they keep losing money and are thinking about not doing anymore events.

One last bit of advice. Avoid the CF splitter if you're going to lower the car. It's going to get destroyed. There is a polyurethane one that'll hold up a lot better. I had a splitter in the past and was very careful, but it's going to get beat up if you're lowered.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 11-27-2016 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Beemdog351.50