11-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #47
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Marza View Post
You would think they would have a capable 'M performance' brake fluid for our cars.. Thank you for the advice, I anticipate it will take all day but it's going to be a whole bunch of us installing so it should go easier.
The oil I was looking at is Castrol SRF at around $70 a bottle. I figure 2 bottles will be enough?
When I did mine I bought 3 bottles (0.5L each) and I only ended up using 1.5 bottles IIRC. I know everywhere I read it said to buy at least 1.5L, but I tried and tried and couldn't get anymore old fluid out after bleeding a little more than a full bottle through. I may have actually only used one complete bottle, I don't recall exactly. I suspect I didn't end up getting all the old fluid out, but no matter how long I bled I was getting clear fluid, so I figured it was good enough. Don't take my scenario as "I only need 1 or 2 bottles" though. I still recommend getting at least 1.5L in case you need it. If not, just keep whatever is left for next year and bleed again (as long as it's not opened, it will last a couple years on the shelf).

Regarding the fluid you chose, I too was looking into the Castrol SRF as I was told it was the best, but at $70 a bottle I felt it was overkill and I opted for the Motul instead at around $16 a bottle. Unless you are doing multiple track days a year and running back to back laps, I feel like you would just be wasting money going with the Castrol. It's a solid brake fluid, but I think you would be fine with the Motul or another cheaper alternative instead for a lot less money. I don't know what you use your car for, and my opinion may differ from others, but if you track a lot as described above, definitely go for the Castrol. If you just daily drive or even do the occasional track day for fun, the Motul or even Endless fluid would be fine for you and save you a ton of cash.

On a side note: The reason I opted for the RBF600 vs the RBF660 despite them being nearly the same price, is that the RBF600 has a wet boiling point of 420 while the 660 has a wet boiling point of 399 degrees, despite the 660 having a higher dry boiling point. For the driving I do, I figured I would NEVER approach the dry limits of the 600, so it was a better trade off to go for the one with the higher wet boiling point, as the wet boiling point is far more important to consider.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 11-22-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0