01-19-2021, 12:34 AM   #13
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessriding View Post
I have a 2010 E93. Almost 64k miles. Never tracked or driven excessively. Needs new clutches in tranny. Bought a used one that was sold as being inspected and in excellent condition. Turned out it leaks fluid. Now has to be returned and the shop has to be paid $2000 for labor and that was only to install the used tranny. Now mine has to be reinstalled with another labor cost. Mine was occasionally giving me a transmission overheat error. BMW wanted $7000 to replace clutches. Not worth it. Tried the used tranny route and now in the hole for over $4000 and will have the same tranny I had before. Shop put in new filters, fluids, gaskets and bought mechatronic kit, and drove car to test and found the leak right away. Now to replace my old tranny they want to again replace all gaskets, filter and fluid. The parts they replaced have been on 24 hrs and they want to replace it all again. Not sure what will happen from here. Used tranny route sure didn’t work and investing $7000 isn’t either
Out of curiousity on my previous car which had a DCT also, I asked BMW what they wanted, was quoted $2500 Canadian for the clutch replacement. Was reasonable, but they wanted to charge the money on replacing the DCT pan and oil in there also because it was "necessary for the job". I never went ahead with it because the mileage on the car was still relatively low and I had already considered selling the car. Had I kept it, I would have went ahead with BMW's offer. DCT clutches aren't lifetime, they do wear and its evident on cars that have been driven a lot on the street and in slow moving traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
You will need burn the clutches on any non-torque converter transmissions if you drive like a pussy because it never fully engages the drivetrain (clutch slipping).

Easiest way to avoid this is to ensure complete clutch engagement and to not shift lower than 3,000 rpm for each upshift.
+1 on this. Driving the car too soft/carefully in result is actually worse for the DCT transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
To my understanding, the DCT clutches should last a long time and never really need replacing in a normal vehicle lifetime - these transmissions are pretty stout. And while I have read that the clutches are replaceable, likely you're better off just finding a used transmission as tooloud posted above; it will be cheaper and easier.
If the car was an early 08 or 09 build date, yes its very simple to just swap out the DCT transmission, if its a newer build date you will have to rewrite the ESN in the transmission to match with the car's DME. Otherwise the DCT will not work from the donor car if I am not mistaken.
Appreciate 2