11-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Only flaw I found is water/dirt drips right on the engine (I sealed the slit), so it should have been more to the outside, or with a hole pointing to the fender rather than a slit. My engine was a mess on that side when I removed the air filter housing (apparently when dealer drove my car from another dealership they did it offroad ). Not a big deal; just an observation, but the design is pretty clever overall. Take care.
Yes thats what I thought initially as well. While I was degreasing the engine bay I noticed the Bonnet Intake vent seems to be directly above the engine. Beyond the engine is the exhaust manifold.

Any excessive amount of water hitting the engine would have continued to drip downwards onto the exhaust manifold. At a traffic light situation with water coming in contact with a very hot engine and exhaust manifold, I wonder if it is detriment to both components.

With the Evo IX, the bonnet vent allows a quite a significant amount of water onto the engine and the exhaust manifold. However there is an exhaust manifold housing that prevents water from dripping on it. I hope this is the case with the M3.

Anyway I could be wrong. Its quite cluttered with the airbox. Perhaps when I have the time, I'll remove the airbox and have a look underneath it. There might be a shield of some sort.
Appreciate 0