05-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #142
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3peat View Post
Reviving this for the 150k+ milers still tracking their cars.

I'm closing in on 150k and have only autox'd the car with no problems, other than the driver.

As I'm thinking of getting back into tracking the car with less and less autox venues available, I would like to address known issues on higher mileage cars.

I have done general maintenance (fluids/filters/plugs etc) way more than 'required' per BMW but what other things should I be on the lookout for at this mileage?

I have replaced the alternator after it went bad @118k, TA's (took a dump at 142k), Bearings, engine mounts (@94k but probably due for another set), thermostat (twice) and dampers recently (went with MCS singles and stock springs, along with all new rubber parts while in there).

Any other big ticket items I should replace or be aware of before venturing back out onto the track?

thanks in advance
Make sure you have the thermostat TSB harness fix installed or you'll just go through more thermostats.

I keep a set of camshaft position sensors around because those went bad on my car a few times as the engine aged. Ended up having to replace low pressure fuel sensor as well.

Water pump if OEM is probably on last legs. The plastic impeller was busted at ~165k miles.

You already did the alternator, mine died too.

Power steering pump might let go, mine did.

My TAs surprisingly enough at 180k miles is fine.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0