View Single Post
      04-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #25
blastpanel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E92

Check out the new Ohlins Dedicated Track coilover kit that is being released:

https://3dmmotorsport.com/

I love the characteristics of the Ohlins R&T coilovers and believe they excel as a true dual-purpose option– very compliant on the street and a noticeable increase in performance on the track. When I decided to transition my car to a more track focused setup, I spoke to 3DM Motorsport about the development of this new kit and offered my M3 for the prototype since I live close to Ohlins in NC.

The Ohlins is a very capable track damper; they just need to be properly revalved to accept higher spring rates. The modified valving increases the damping to not only help control the spring, but also give a crisp turn in to the corners, and their unique Dual Flow Valve soaks up the curbs to keep the car very stable. You get the best of both worlds! Its more than just about "controlling the spring"; its about the dynamics of the suspension.

I am blown away with the result. The car is firm but not harsh on the street and the track performance is amazing. The suspension feels poised and responsive and manages the higher spring rates (672 lbs front / 1008 lbs rear) with ease. Weight transfer on track felt very stable, and the suspension never gets unsettled over rough curbing. I was not able to change out my stock front sway bar before testing the new setup at VIR, but the cornering was balanced and rotation was easy to manage. Going to a slightly stiffer bar may be recommended, but is not necessary.

You can purchase new "Dedicated Track" coilovers directly from 3DM Motorsport as they are responsible for helping Ohlins develop this kit. They are also set up for conversion of existing Road and Track coilovers quicker and cheaper than through Ohlins. If you purchase from 3DM, you also get one free revalve, so if you start with the R&T suspension, and later decide to switch to the Dedicated kit, you get a nice discount on the conversion.
Appreciate 2
aus891.50
slcook541863.00