View Single Post
      09-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #11
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxLit View Post
Funny you say this - I actually test drove a Golf R and found it to not be engaging enough or fast enough. It was good, but didn't grab me.

I can see how some people would not like the virtual cockpit, etc. It will probably age TERRIBLY. But for now, it's a lot of fun.

I agree this car generally feels more GT focused until you drive it really hard and that the shifters should be higher quality that what they provide. I'm sure the aftermarket will solve the subpar paddles shortly. At the same time, I'm sure if I took the RS3 to the track it could beat the pants off most cars. I was flogging it on abandoned curvy roads and it didn't miss a beat or leave me feeling like I was lacking anything from the M3. I think on a track it might be faster than a stock e92.

I find the RS3 steering feel is actually very good when set to dynamic mode, and provides good road feel. It's overboosted and numb in comfort mode, which was actually kinda nice when finishing out a long road trip.

I agree that Subaru for winter and E92 for summer would probably be an better value proposition if you have the desire/space to keep two cars. I considered this, but WRXs hold their value extremely well where I'm located. Also, we can't get two parking spots in our condo, and I was also constantly worrying about rod bearing blowup and didn't want to pay the $3800 Cdn I was quoted for a bearing job. Lastly, my wife is very pregnant and could barely get into the M3 due to its long doors and our tiny parking spot. lol. I knew if I didn't get rid of it soon the day would come when she literally could not get into the car to go where she needed to go, and that would not be a good day for anyone...
Just to clarify, I wasn't knocking the RS3- I actually quite like it and if I'm forced to buy a new car today, it would be on top of the list. I certainly would take it over F80 M3. I think the points I made apply to most performance cars today, not just the RS3.
I feel like the automakers don't pay attention to small details that make the driving experience more engaging. For example, in Audi's and VW's the DSG shifter (not the paddle shifters) has upward + shift and downward - shift, which is opposite of bmw's DCT shifter (downward for + shift and upward for downshift). I find the bmw's configuration more intuitive. Interestingly, Porsche's PDK follows Audi/VW configuration in non-GT cars whereas PDK in GT cars follow bmw's configuration. Yes, I am nitpicking but these things do matter to me.

Anyways, congrats and enjoy your RS3. It sounds like your wife prefers RS3, which is the most important opinion. I will hold on to my e92 but will probably be drawn to RS3 when the winter hits Northeast.
Appreciate 0