View Single Post
      11-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
If you get a warranty, any engine related modifications included preemptive maintenance (like replacing rod bearings) will void the warranty claims going forward. Regardless of who performed the labor.
This one is tricky, and is honestly the reason I ditched my warranty. There is some very specific inclusionary/exclusionary language in most of these contracts and some of them specifically call out exactly what components they will replace vs won't, and may void the warranty if they rule it due to "failure of lubrication".

Now you could wait til your engine grenades (if ever) and then try to have that fight, but for me $4k for the warranty I'd rather just put towards the bearings and hundreds of dollars in preventative maintenance that I can do myself rather than wait for it to fail.

I also would rather have my original engine working than a rebuilt engine which will devalue the car even further.

Certain things were in gray areas such as "throttle actuators" since they weren't implicitly covered.

But plenty of people on here have third party warranties have had it cover thousands of dollars of work, so to each their own. If you aren't mechanically inclined to try DIY for a lot of this stuff, then I would get a warranty and do the rod bearings regardless and keep the warranty as an insurance policy for anything else that can go wrong (plenty of sensors, bushings and other drivetrain parts that will go bad and can be expensive if you have to pay a BMW dealer to do it).