06-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #1169
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Are you sure about this? I've replaced my TAs and for 4 other friends I don't think the gear grinding happens solely by the M button (if at all). None of us ever did that but we all had damaged gears.

It shouldn't make a difference whether you hit the M button under load or simply get on and off the gas quickly. The effect would be the same (opening and closing the ITBs due to the change in throttle response)

If you think that the small spike in throttle response from the M button would cause the gears to move to the point of damage, I just don't see how it would differ than stepping on the gas quickly. Track driving has the TAs moving the ITBs all day long and at a much more pronounced degree than the M button would.

My thoughts on the matter is from wear and tear due to the material BMW used given the application of the part.

Happy to hear your take. thanks

BTW... Last weekend I drove an '18 Raptor like you have...awesome truck
It's a hit or miss, the guy who you are responding to is pure assumptions and no facts.

For example, I have 200k kms on my car and I have never replaced it. And trust me, I drive my car hard (a lot of movement of the TA gears) yet not issues...

I'm not saying they won't go bad, it's probably a matter of time but it's not an issue in my opinion.