View Single Post
      10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
1. In manual, I have no way to skip gears. Say for instance I am slowing down from a 55mph secondary road to turn into our neighborhood, I can't skip from 7 to 2 for the turn.. I must down shift through every single gear to get to second. In the 6 speed of course, one would just go from 6 straight into 2. Is there a way around this?

No way around it. As someone pointed out, there is a way to skip multiple gears while accelerating, but not while decelerating. In theory you could gun (full throttle) it a little before the turn, downshift once, and then you'd drop multiple gears. But that's neither elegant nor sane.

The other thing you could do is click it over to D5 (so have D mode pre-set to D5 beforehand) just before you begin braking, and let the electronics do the downshifting. It might still do more than one shift but it would nevertheless be just one action on your part. After the turn, when you upshift again, it will automatically go back to S.

All that said, in time you get used to the sequential shifting and come to appreciate it. Shift early, shift often. In the situation you note above, I might even drop to 5th or 4th a bit before I started braking, and then do the last few shifts while on the brakes.
Appreciate 0