View Single Post
      09-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
jester17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
RELATED ISSUE: So I had an oil change about 1,500 mi ago. I take the car away from the shop and the oil sensor registers at the FULL mark. I drive for awhile, recheck just for peace of mind... and it's down about 1/10th of an inch; "No big deal, that's the oil moving through engine, getting spread out," say to myself. But being a bit obsessive about this kind of thing, I buy a L of 10W-60, and when I get home I put in about a cup's worth. Next day, no change in the oil level. I call the tech. who tells me that as long as it's between the two lines, it's fine. But again, being obsessive -- and wanting it to read at the FULL level -- I add another cup. Nothing changes. Over the next two weeks I do this every so often until I've added 1/2 L. No changes in the sensor reading... but I stop adding, as I don't want to over-add, and hey -- it's just a half-litre, and the sensor is still reading about 1/10th below full... so I get over my anal retentiveness, and enjoy the car.

Then this afternoon, all of the sudden the oil sensor tells me it's overfilled. Interestingly, in the 'Vehicle System' indicator of the iDrive system, it isn't giving me the "Oil is overfilled... do not drive!" warning, but the oil sensor is registering that the level is higher than max.

So what's your opinion: I say it's not a big enough deal to worry about, and that after a few good, hard drives it'll even out.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0