Thread: Nitrogen
View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #20
jadatis
Private
Rep
Drives: No BMW

If you want to play around with the temperature and pressure chanches then download "pressurecalculationwithtemp"spreadsheet from next map on my public map on skydrive that belongs to my hotmail adres with same username as here.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e...E092E6DC%21793
To download RIGHTclick and choose download.

Made it a while ago for races, and later planted the pressurecalculation to it in part 1 .
Idea of part 2 is to calculate the cold filled pressure that is needed , to get the same warm pressure as for normal conditions of 65/112dgrF Cold/Warm.
Part 3 is to fill in the pressures and it gives the warm inside tire temperature ( or cold if you want).
The calculations assume the tire-vollume not to chanche at higher pressure, wich it will aproximately will not when its pressurised.

Now about Nitrogen filling ( further N2) .
If you fill with 100% N2 , because the empty tire contains 20% Oxigen( further O2) there will be still a percentage O2 in the tire.
Then you can drop pressure to zero and fill again with 100% N2 , eventually in a few rounds, to get a lower O2%.

But whatever you do, in the long while there wil diffuse( and not leaking) O2 from the outside , into the tire. This proces wil give in the end a sertain %O2 belonging to the pressure .
1 bar/14,5psi goes to 10% O2
3 bar/44psi goes to 5% O2.
9 bar/130psi goes to 2% O2.
This has to do with the law of partial pressure wich is then the same inside as outside the tire and about 0,2 bar /3psi. At that point there is a balance, yust as much O2 is difusing into as out the tire.

Water as a gas reacts the same as any gas and by an iteraction of temperature and humidity chanches , its possible that, whatever effort you take to get as less water in the tire as possible, there will be coming water in to the tire or the tire inside gets dryer in the long while.

My idea is that liquid water ( H2O) does not diffuse or much less troug the rubber then H2O as gas.
Once read that O2 difuses 5 times quicker trough the tire as N2 .
What I would like to know is what howmany times quicker H2Ogas goes troug the tire as N2.

So new feed for who is interested
Appreciate 0