04-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #96
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
The older vehicles are the only numbers that actually exist to compare it to.

You are completely speculating on where the numbers of the new vehicles that haven't been to Nurburgring are going to end up. You have no idea, how fast the Italia and the Mclaren are going to be.

And even if they are faster...so what? So there are two supercars in the world faster than it? Big deal. It will be pretty cool to see what the Italia and Mclaren can do, that I agree with.

Again, what does the GT-R have to do with anything. It's widely agreed that it's the performance bargain of the century. It puts up better numbers than pretty much everything out there. What's your point?

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make at all....other than hating on the LF A for no apparent reason?

First, you stated that it was for "rich doofus'" which it isn't due to the selection process.

Then you tried to suggest that it wasn't technologically advanced which is downright laughable.

Then you tried to say it's performance numbers weren't up to your standards even though it beats all current track performers at the 'Ring.

You also stated it's overpriced, yet almost every supercar that has put up similar performance numbers has been even more expensive.

Now you're bringing up branding? As discussed earlier in this thread BMW doesn't have anything in this class and never has. (The M1 was designed and contracted to Lamborghini until their poor financial situation forced BMW to take over the project again so we're clear).

Lexus is entering a territory that is very difficult to get into. Is the LF A the greatest car ever built? No. Is it a technological marvel that is an amazing achievement for Lexus and puts down some great track times. Absolutely.
I know that the Italia will be much quicker. It is lighter, has more HP and torque and gives up nothing to the Lexus in technology (Its already much quicker on the straights as tested anyway). Same goes for the Mclaren.

Is it downright laughable? From the guy that admits that it's gearbox is "sometimes" criticized for being jerky and inconsistent?

It beats all the current track performers? For a car that will only reach customers 18 months later, it will be stupid to compare it to something that is going out of production instead of the new Mclaren and Ferrari. (Look, it is quicker than the Ford Model T!!!!)

Why are you intent on comparing it to BMW? They dont need a halo car and they admit it. No one brings them up except you, as if it is some consolation. If Lexus needs to fix it's image, wouldn't it be prudent that it goes through its recalls quickly and returns the LX to sale?

About the "rich doofus" (silly name) part, i did not call them that. I said Lexus is more intent in giving it to socialites as they would rather it be seen in the right places.

Seriously, stop comparing it to the Stanley steamer and just admit that the Mclaren and the Italia will be quicker, 50% cheaper and have infinitely better Brand Values . Really should wrap this up.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0