08-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #31
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
As for the Ethanol. At least in Canada they have to say on the pump when it's 10% etc so you can pick and choose if you don't want to have it. My only problem is that I don't want to use less than 94 and therefore I'm stuck with Sunoco (Canadians correct if I'm wrong) which does have Ethanol. At 10% it's not going to cause any longevity problems but it will affect MPG. E85 runs at about 2/3 the mpg of 100% petrol. So E10 will affect it but not hugely.
In the U.S., it generally is posted somewhere on the pump, "This product may may contain up to 10% ethanol." That is because the ethanol content could vary by area and time of year, or certain stations may be sloppy about keeping the stickers updated. This posting may also vary from state to state and may not be present everywhere.

The ethanol question is another good argument for buying only Top Tier-certified fuel. One of the standards is no more than 10% ethanol.

I hope no one believes the rather irresponsible posts above about E85 (85% ethanol). Check your BMW owner's manual, which states up to 10% is OK, but anything over is not. Only certain cars, including many GM models have been modified to run on E85. There are no BMW models certified for E85, at least not in the U.S.