03-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #1001
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Everyone who knows me at the track knows me as the Euro-MDM guy. I've been doing some DSC-off driving lately, but when I'm "going for it", I still leave MDM on. I've learned how to work around it so that it doesn't interfere much. I would say the biggest intrusion from MDM is that I have to wait a moment to get on the gas at the apex. People who watch my videos say that I need to get on the gas earlier after corners. I agree with their assessment, but MDM won't let me. In driving with it off, it is quite obvious how I am able to get on the gas earlier.

The supercharger is quite fun on the track. Even with a supercharger, the car does not have undue amounts of torque. It's not an untamable beast. But you do have to modulate the throttle quite a bit more than an NA M3. People are always saying with NA M3's that they are "flat out" all over the place……not me. I need to modulate a lot more. But it's not hard to learn. I've had people drive my car and immediately break their personal best in my car on their first hot lap. To me that means the car is easy to drive and predictable.

My advice about MDM is to just go at your own pace. Don't let anyone peer pressure you or shame you into DSC-off. I get tons of peer pressure. And that's ok. I have practiced on a skid pad a fair amount, so I'm actually ok with the car going sideways. I would suggest auto-crossing and hitting the skid pad to get those dynamics going at lower speeds.
Hey dogbone, any heat or other issues with your supercharger on track? I may consider a SC if I end up keeping the car, but seems like most trackers recommend the smaller kit like the 585ish size.
Appreciate 0