View Single Post
      01-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
The oil check function seems very poor in some cars. I found on my last E92 that on long drives (2 hours plus) it would give a low oil reading and sometimes a warning but next day would be back to full.
What's very poor is the understanding how it works . Do you check your tire pressures when hot? Hope not. You should ALWAYS check your oil at the same flat spot (your typical garage spot is perfect), with engine fully hot (at least 10 miles on the road; the hotter the oil, the more accurate the reading), and idling. And yes, you need to do a 'reset' for that, which takes about a minute to throw a reading. If you take the reading the computer takes while on the road as your correct oil level, you'd be wrong. That's why it seems to 'fluctuate' all the time. The sensor is at the very rear of the sump. If you're going uphill when the computer takes the reading, it can read as overfilled when it's not. And same if going downhilll... or cornering... or accelerating, etc. You need to be CONSISTENT to get a consistent reading. And the computer takes just ONE reading per ignition cycle, so you all know; it's not going to move until next ignition cycle. You need to tell the computer when you want the oil level checked, and that's done with the turn signal stalk (read about it if you don't know). Do it every week when you get home from your Sunday drive. Or Monday from the office. Do it a habit, and as soon as the level drops from full, you can bring it right back to full with exactly 1/4L. That's also a great way to monitor your oil consumption.

I also hate not having a dipstick, but once you understand how the system and sensor work, you'll find them perfectly consistent. And even accurate, if you keep it right at the top mark and check level regularly, like I explained above. And no need to ever carry a liter in your trunk, like if you were driving a clunker . Do some searching and reading if you want to understand how to deal with this electronic crap better. Take care gang.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-07-2011 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0