View Single Post
      07-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #736
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Sorry for the cross-post, as I had also done this on the main forum...but thought I'd share here on the RB thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Getting my RBs done today....@~118K mile

Will share details on the results and experience after.
Here's what 088/089 rod bearings look like at 118K miles. Definitely wear through the lead layer but I think expected for the mileage. Particle streak on cylinder 8 not good, however.

See below for my blackstone. Bought the car (am 2nd owner) at 82K mi. Did the first oil change and lead showed high (26ppm) and got the usual from Blackstone (did you use fuel booster, etc). Of course having bought it used, had no idea. In any event, as you can see from the Blackstone, the lead dropped down to lower levels and Copper has been relatively low all the time. The spike in nickel I saw a few oil changes ago, am wondering if this was the nickel dam on the bearings (5 mil nickel layer sandwiched between the lead and copper layer). Can anyone confirm of 088/089 have the Clevite nickel dam?
Our line of Clevite® heavy duty engine bearings includes rod, main, and cam bearings. All but our cam bearings are made with the legendary Clevite® TriMetal™ CL-112 material. Clevite® cam bearings are precision bored to eliminate the need for machining after installation. This exclusive bearing design features a steel backing for support, a cast-copper lead alloy center for strength and durability, nickel dam for chemical stability, and an electroplated white metal babbitt overlay for slipperiness, conformability and embedability. The intermediate cast-copper lead layer creates and interlocked columnar structure capable of withstanding much heavier pulsating loads than any other bearing design.
https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/na...gine-bearings/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1