View Single Post
      10-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #489
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
The E30 M3 looks dated in comparison to the E36 M3. In fact, the E36 is worlds ahead in terms of comfort, features, power, etc. Yet if an E36 were to pass by, I wouldn't look twice. If an E30 M3 drove by, I would pull a tire screeching 180, and follow until I got a chance to *thumbs up* the owner.

What makes the E30 so special is that it was the first and the last of its kind. It was the first true M car, the pioneer of the M division. It solidified BMW's stance as the "ultimate driving machine" and did this through its high revving, fantastic sounding motor. It was the last of its kind due it being the only M3 to ever have a 4 cylinder motor. THIS is what makes it so special. Its rarity and its pedigree.

The E92 M3 is a lot like the E30 in that way. It was the first M to have a high revving, fantastic sounding V8. and its the last M that will ever have such a motor.

While the F80 M3 is ahead in tech, comfort, mileage, and style (subjective), it lacks that raw, brutal yet beautiful, simplicity of the E92. I firmly believe the E92 is a modern classic, and a special one at that.

I digress, to each their own, but I would choose an E92 over an F80 any day, although perhaps I am a bit biased.
Appreciate 0