United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm not saying those things don't help. i'm saying it is nothing special. standard equipment on other vehicles- and no front locker.
i don't see any significant clearance or suspension travel capabilities. its mediocre.

all the other features with air suspension and "water crossing" mode is just a dog and pony show. more stuff to break.

I guess we'll see how special/competitive it is once the comparison tests start coming out. I can think of two direct competitors regarding the 4x4 capabilities, however those competitors fill two different spectrums of the market and typically appeal to very different types of customers. Those being the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and the Mercedes G-wagon. I would love to see a comparison test between those three to see how they perform on the trail. I doubt many people will cross shop all three; possibly some people comparing the Jeep and the Defender for 4x4 use, and others comparing the G-wagon and Defender as luxury SUVs with abilities they want but will most likely never use.

Speaking of diff lockers, there are only three vehicles I can think of offering front and rear lockers from the factory. Those being the aforementioned Wrangler Rubicon and G-wagon, along with the Chevy Colorado ZR-2. The Toyota Land Cruiser may still offer a front locker, though I am not sure off the top of my head. I agree on the other features they are touting, they are probably things that may malfunction or break down the road.

Regardless, I'm just happy to see that some manufacturers are still willing to offer what I consider a true SUV, and not just a crossover pretending to be one.