View Single Post
      10-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Final Update:

Sorry for the delayed response guys and gals. The good news is that my the issue has been resolved and my cross country relo back to Phoenix has been completed. Following is a CliffsNotes summary of events.

1. BMW recommended a SW upgrade. Cost: $225. I stated it would not fix the problem. BMW agreed to give me a 100% credit if the SW upgrade does not fix the problem. I approved the work. As expected, the SW upgrade did not fix the problem.

2. BMW recommended replacement of the DME. Cost: $2,500 ($2,000 for the part, $500 for coding). I stated it would not fix the problem. BMW agreed to give me a 100% credit if the DME replacement does not fix the problem. I approved the work. As expected, the DME replacement did not fix the problem.

3. I continued to insist that the issue would be resolved by replacing the Bank 1 TVA. I even suggested that they swap the two TVA's to confirm that the error codes swap to Bank 2. Ultimately, a PuMA (Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales - in German) was opened with BMW. The 'experts' finally agreed that replacing the TVA was the correct next step (thanks Mr. Wizard). Surprise, surprise, the problem was solved by replacing the Bank 1 TVA.

Although this experience was painful and it took three weeks to resolve, there were some positives. BMW (with prodding by the dealer) agreed that this situation could have been handled better. Three weeks to fix a problem that had a solution identified by the customer on Day 1 is embarrassing. That being said, BMW made it right. Even though the new DME did not resolve the problem, BMW allowed me to keep the part at no cost. In addition they did not charge me for the TVA. The total cost for all of the parts and the work performed (SW Upgrade: $225, DME Replacement & Coding: $2,500 and TVA Replacement: $1,800) would have been $4,525. The total I paid was only $500! If that wasn't sweet enough, the dealer (Apple BMW in Harrisburg) washed the car and delivered it to my door with a full tank of gas! I guess the moral of my story is to let BMW follow their process. Provide guidance along the way, but be tolerant and reasonable. BMW was not looking too good in the short term, but they made it right!

One last note. I discovered during this ordeal that the DME is covered by the 8 year / 80,000 mile federally-mandated Emissions Warranty because it is a "major emissions control component". Many dealers do not broadcast this info. This is handy to know if your DME needs replacement!

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3

Last edited by FredVMI; 10-29-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0