05-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #1229
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
The main benefit of building an E92 into a track car is that there are more parts readily available for the E92 vs the E90---things like body panels: carbon doors, hoods, fenders, trunks, etc. E92's also start a bit lighter than sedans. However, some say the B-pillar of the sedan makes a more rigid platform. Who knows....

At this point, it's hard to compare the "feel" of the two cars because the sedan has been lightened so much and stiffened with a cage whereas the coupe is full weight with stock interior. But if I try to remember what the sedan felt like, I think they feel similar.

If I look back to the days when I carried 4 tires in the back seat with my sedan vs. now when I carry 4 tires to the track with the coupe, the sedan was easier to put tires in it.

I don't regret making the sedan into a track car. It's what I had, so I went with it. And the infrastructure of the OEM car has been very reliable.

You would not believe how many comments I've gotten over the years.....how put-off people are that a sedan is going faster than their 2-door whatever car. Literally people I don't know will walk up and say they can't believe a sedan passed them.....

I was always intrigued when I heard that the instructor's at BMW's school at the Nurburgring said they preferred the sedans. You can even see this if you watch the lead-follow videos.