11-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
Ringtaxi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
Let me translate...

When you need major service that involves removing the plenum, also do the fuel tank breather valve at the same time. Replacing the $60-90 part alone isn't worth the cost of the 4-5 hours of labor.

Since you have such low mileage, do the spark plugs/air filter or leaky valve cover gasket replacement and fuel tank breather valve at the same time. Spark plug service interval is 37k miles, which is crazy for platinum plugs. Use OE NGK plugs and gap them, instead of the BMW OEM p/n. Same exact part and save $$$.

You will likely have to replace the throttle valve actuators around 60-80k miles like clock work, but no need to wait.

As a test, only fill your gas tank up to 3/4 or 1/2 tank, and see if the idle problem persists. Issue might just pop up when you fill it to FULL. Not about overfilling the tank, which is not really possible. Just a flakey fuel tank breather valve part we all have to deal with. I think Bosch makes/sells the same part.

Do all this work at a good BMW Indie shop instead of the BMW dealership. Simple routine maintenance.

Cheers
Thank you for this explanation I agree. I will wait until more service is required before I handle the breather. I did plugs and air filter not long ago. Next time I get gas I will try to fill 3/4 tank and see if the issue persists.
Appreciate 0