07-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you're kidding right?

a DCT has two wet clutches that are actively engaging at the driver's command. when you shift gears, it is actively shifting gears...UNLIKE a torque converter automatic which does not engage 2 separate clutches which alternate between gears.
Thank you for the explanation. I had absolutely no clue what in the world a dual-clutch transmission is and what it did. But now that you told me they have two clutches, I think I have it all figured out.

Now, if you'll read my statement again, you'll see I said "from a practical standpoint," as in the net end result for the user. The nature of a DCT's design makes for very fast up and downshifts. Yes...we know. Now, aside from that, can you name any difference in terms of the act of driving they provide to the end user compared to a modern traditional automatic? I'll save you the trouble...they don't.

Quote:
have you ever driven a dual clutch gearbox in fully manual mode?
Yes.

Quote:
it's no different than a manual aside from the fact that there is no clutch.
Really? So the only difference is the lack of a clutch? Interesting.

I didn't know that with a DCT, you also have a standard H to row the gears and lack a computer matching your revs on downshifts or preventing you from over-revving and messing up. Since they're also the same, I didn't know that properly driving a DCT-fitted car was a near art form requiring years and years of practice.

That's what I mean by actual difference. All higher-end slush-box autos have rev-matching on downshifts, will let you select and hold any gear at any time, and provide all the control that DCTs do...just not the immediacy. That's exactly my point. Okay, fine...in a DCT, you also have the luxury of removing your foot from the brake at a traffic-light and not have the car creep forward.
Appreciate 0