View Single Post
      12-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #150
mikoz
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan

I did mine this weekend. 40k mikes on a 2010.

I used the division M puller, it really made the job easy. I definitely recommend spending the 30 bucks to get this tool, instead of a coat hanger or the other hacks.

I was really nervous about the number 4 cylinder based on what I read, but it wasn’t difficult. Part of the reason why could be that the valve cover gaskets were replaced at 35k (done under extended warranty which recently expired) miles, so the coils were pulled fairly recently. But if I had to, I could see how you could get some leverage with the metal cross member to aid in pulling it out.

Unlike most cars, it’s easier to start with the drivers side, the first two plugs have very easy access so you can get the technique down.

I did break off the plastic post holding the grommet when removing the black plastic spark plug cover on the drivers side. However, I fixed that with epoxy and used grease on the grommet to make it easier to get on and off again later. I was very careful removing it, it just wouldn’t come off easily and I wound up breaking off the tab. The tab stayed attached to the metal post so I could easily get it and reattach it via epoxy. It may break the next time, I’ll replace it if so. It it’s cosmetic so not really worried about it.

I used dielectric grease on the boot to aid in a future release of the coils.

The dealer apparently used the wrong screws for the assembly of the plastic cover during the valve cover replacement for the cabin air filters, so that was fun trying to fix that.
Appreciate 0