09-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Not really. The "M" button just allows you to call up your performance settings with the press of a button. You can always do it the old-fashioned way - turn DSC off and press the power button. However, since it's a '10, it means you don't have MDM or EDC if you don't have the technology package.

I've found that EDC is only useful when you need to traverse a bumpy road, whereas MDM is a nice traction setting when you want to drive in a spirited manner with less of a risk of ending up in the guard rail.

But after two years of ownership, I've come to the conclusion that all of these are really technology gimmicks - the fun of this car comes from how it feels on the road, not from your M drive settings or the 'power' button.
The M button also implies the presence of the Sport setting for Servotronic, which I consider to be a must-have for spirited driving after having compared it to the Normal setting. And yes as you said you also get MDM. The M button may only actually be used to toggle settings, but having it means you also have other features that aren't available without it even if you're willing to toggle all the settings individually.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0