View Single Post
      06-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #110
Taz@Evolve. P
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by john335coupe View Post
just ordered mine today. First ECU tune ever for me. I've got pulley, dinan cat back, AFE intake. I plan on using the iphone program dynolicious to get before and after results. I like using that program for all my cars. It seems pretty consistent and accurate.

john
Never had anyone try that, look forward to the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Does this tune eliminate the dead torque zone around 2.2-2.8k rpm that results from aftermarket xpipes?
Yes. We have specifically designed our xpipe based tune for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Did anyone here who got the tune go for the optional higher rev limit? What are the benefits + disadvantages of going with higher rev limit?

Also, could you guys discuss the other options you got in ur tune? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
If you look at the dyno plots for these engines, ideally we should be shifting at or above 8600rpm to get the most from it. That's where I would think the biggest benefit comes from, as the "real" HP peak on the dyno seems to happen right at 8000-8100rpm. A few extra revs in gear means you don't have to shift to avoid the limiter before the next corner either.

I wouldn't bother for a street car, but it's tempting. First thing you do in an endurance race if you have a comfortable margin is drop your shift points by 500rpm or more to preserve the engine, because revs more than anything else (assuming it's tuned well) are what stresses the engine. The extra tenth or two (and I bet it's worth at least that much around a track, depending on where the "tweener" corners are) you might gain wouldn't be worth the extra stress you'd put on the engine. I'm already exploring points near the limiter nearly every day and I'd just wait that much longer between shifts. It's a nice undersquare engine so I'm thinking the valvetrain is probably the weak point, would be nice to see the results of some test-to-failure at 8800rpm. Anybody got a motor and an engine dyno to donate to the experiment?
What he said. It's something we can do, but left well alone if your not sure why you want it
Appreciate 0