Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Outside temp makes a big difference on my car. We have had a crazy Summer with 30-32C. At this temp my car all of a sudden was well over mid, 104 -106C even at high way driving. Never happened before. At normal say 25C it typically sits below mid, 96-98C.

I'm really surprised to hear that. Outside temps should make minimal difference on oil temps in most cars, short of being in very extreme conditions (ambient below 0F or above 100 F). Even then, you should only see minor changes from "normal". Are you sure your cooling system is working properly?

I keep saying this in these threads but I don't think people are stopping to think about how the cooling system works: this is not an air cooled engine, it's water cooled. Anyway, I would not be obsessing over oil temp until you are getting near the 300 F mark -- which I was never even able to do on the track.
Appreciate your view but try and drive in +100 temps in stop and go LA (or where ever) traffic. You WILL see a rise in temps. My goal was to have people post a pick that shows their stats to see how our cars average. Somehow folks have given pics outside of this. I was hoping to see a pic of the cluster completely. This would show ambient and motor temps. This would kind of provide some comparable info for all. My ambient 117 with high motor temps in stop and go makes sense. I wanted comparable info based of AMBIENT TEMP + DRIVING CONDITIONS for reference. Most of the pics seem to be basic