Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
did you go through with this?
would love some info
Yes I did the CIC upgrade. It's pretty easy actually one you figure out the parts you need.

At a minimum you will need the CIC display, the CIC head unit, the FARKA cable between the CIC and the display, a USB connector for the glove box, and a FARKA cable for the USB connector. Optionally, you can also add on a combox if you want Bluetooth, USB streaming, or BMW apps. You can replace the iDrive controller and center console if you perfer the newer style with the shortcut keys. I actually kept the CCC syle controller. It works fine and I like the look and feel of the machined aluminum dial. You can also re-route the satellite radio antenna to the dashboard if that is important to you since the CIC has a built in satellite receiver.

There are a few different options for activating the system which each have their pros and cons. Just connecting it won't work, the anti-theft security system will lock out the system. I went with a CAN filter, a small module that manipulates the system into thinking it is still in original car. The OEM activation method is probably the best approach, but it costs several hundred dollars and is more involved to DIY.

You will probably want to change your car's VO and recode the CIC to your car. Although I don't think this is strictly required, especially if you use a CAN filter, it might act oddly if you do not. For example, mine was showing an outline of the donor X1 instead of an E90 on the maintenance tab and had screens about eco mode. This can be done using the standard BMW tools and your laptop.