View Single Post
      01-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #45
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14_deltaM3 View Post
I’d say it’s the opposite. Your post suggests the s65 has all the flexibility you can need, but then you ask for more mid range anyways. Hence my point that what you’re really asking for is the artificially high mid range and low end torque offered by a turbo engine. Or else an engine like the VQ that is all mid range.

Your point about the s65 and s55 relative curves is also irrelevant given the scale difference in torque. The s55 is delivering over 400 pound feet at that point.
Good post.

Broad <> flexible if the absolute value is too low. It simply means broad here.

The S65 actually has a much broader torque curve than the S65. It makes proportionately more of its peak tq for a wider rpm range. It just doesn't quite make enough to be "exciting" in the real world on a warm day.

I could care less about low end (<3k). Both motors suck in that regard anyway. The S55 is a totally out of boost/very laggy and feels exactly like an S54 in the real world below 3k.

But let me ask you - why is it that asking for a little more real-world punch automatically means I want turbo torque? I never wanted any more punch in all of my E46Ms and they are WAY WAY slower than the F80. My frustration with the E9XM happened before I ever even test drove an F80... I went straight from an E46M to an E9XM. I'm simply illustrating the flaw in your generalization(s) that modern turbo power is the reason for wanting more punch from the S65 - not the case at all.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 0