SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
I've been through these same dilemmas myself and my conclusions reflect yours and others OP.

I have CQuartz on my car, which is probably about 2yrs old now. It's only just beginning to show signs of failure in certain spots. Very minor. I haven't ever re-upped the protection and I've only ever washed with Ph Neutral soaps.

But, I have some clear bra that needs removing, as well as some rock chips that need addressing, and I'd like to install the OE M Performance carbon spoiler and splitters at some point, but all of these things are bigger headaches with a ceramic coating.

I like to do my own detailing because it's therapeutic and saves $$$ but I'm a little weary of coatings since I'm more unfamiliar with them.

I've seen recently that a really vigorous decon and strip process (strip soap, chem decon, physical decon) followed by a cut polish should effectively (and hopefully safely) remove the coating - especially considering it may be on its last leg.

I think I'm going to venture into this process soon and as much as I absolutely love the ease of cleaning, longevity, and self-cleaning properties of the coating, I think I'll revert back to a sealant/wax layering for the time being to sort out any other cosmetic issues I need to take care of. Maybe I'll circle back to a proper coating down the line again.

Coatings are definitely a love/hate relationship for me.
So maybe time for you also to try a ceramic spray mate...
I think so! I've actually already purchased the Jescar Power Lock and Colinite 845 combo but I'd like to top with Seal & Shine or the Ceramic Spray
Appreciate 0