View Single Post
      12-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

My car was in the shop recently for a bunch of maintenance work, part of which was installing new spark plugs and ignition coils. I purchased this ignition service kit from FCP Euro:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12137841754kt

After installation, the car would start and run for about 1-2 seconds before the DME killed it and produced error codes for all 8 coils. We swapped one of the coils back to OEM and the code for that coil went away. We then swapped all of the coils back to OEM and the car fired right up.

During removal, one of these coils completely fell apart as seen in the picture. I have a hard time believing these are truly OE coils. FCP Euro lists these as made by Eldor and repackaged by STI, but between the questionable build quality and the fact that my car would not run with these, it appears I either got a bad batch or STI started packaging some sort of aftermarket garbage instead of real OE. Either way, I would advise others to stay away and only run BMW OEM coils.

On the bright side, I contacted FCP about this issue and they handled it perfectly. They sent me 8 OEM coils overnight at no extra charge as well as a return shipping label for the bad coils.
Attached Images

Last edited by Iyzmi; 12-11-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00