View Single Post
      11-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #17
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Yes it is a significant difference in response and power depending on temperature. Last Summar was unusually hot with temp around 30C, car felt surprisingly slow. While coming below 10C it feels monster. Quite temp sensitive for being an NA engine.
Hi Nick, "monster" exactly, when temperature is < 8C. I keep an eye on the weather when it's not freezing but dry. It's the most fun time of the year for driving it. My accord does the same in winter at a smaller scale (also NA).
I can only imagine if the S65 was direct injection NA instead of port, it would probably give an extra 30-40 HP. i think the S85/S65 would have inspired another generation of bespoke engines in 2013, with FI added (it also reduces consumption significantly), but the 2009 financial crisis hit auto manufacturers hard and the M division might have had to abandon exotic bespoke designs and use the same weenie 3.0L engine block that equips nearly all bmw's including the F8x M4/3 + added tuned mitsubishi turbo on it. The difference in workload was definitively much reduced from the S85/S65 to the S55 engine design at the M division. A total change of philosophy and budget. It's also possible they lost the M division engineers who designed these bespoke engines.
Appreciate 0