Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebanga View Post
Hey, I'm going through the same issues, all though be in on my e82 135i MHD Stage 2. I got the car like this so it may need an update from the dealer. Either way, Overheating codes would pop up if I drive in any modes at random moments, sometimes in 30 mins and sometimes I can drive for 3 hours with no issues. Either way, I feel like it's the temp sensor, may I ask how much did it cost in terms of labor? Ive seen some other forums that wheel speed sensors might be the culprit as well so Ill try to monitor those as well.
A wheel speed sensor won't cause these issues. It's possible it's the combination rpm/temp sensor but typically there are plausibility faults associated with them when they're the culprit. External thermostat is a very possible culprit and would be the lowest cost repair attempt in combination with making sure fluid balance is performed.

The combination temp/rpm sensor is located in the clutch housing of the transmission. It required transmission R&R to replace- same labor as replacing the clutch itself. We always check the clutches if we pull the transmission. If the clutches are fine then we'd replace the combo sensor and retest.
Appreciate 0