View Single Post
      07-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #24
daitheflu20
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm getting the same thing on my 2010 E92 with about 80k miles. I typically get the warning within 10-15 minutes of easy driving.
Just got this car about 2 months ago and I really dont have any history on it but I did notice that the DCT oil pan appeared wet. I never had any drips in the garage but I replaced the pan with the 'Big Momma' pan from Seems Legit. Ended up draining about 4 quarts but filled with nearly 7 quarts. Not sure if the fluid was ever low.

The 5A61 Selector rod 1/3 fault appeared when I ran the 'DKG Oil Balancing' procedure from my scanner. I ran this procedure twice and got the fault each time. Cleared this code and it hasnt returned under normal driving but the 5A53 overheating phase red code has returned.

So I took a deeper dive into my scanner and found that I can see DKG temps. I see a total of 3 temperatures from the DCT. I'm making a few assumptions here but I believe temperature sensors 1 and 2 are the actual clutches and 'Oil temperature clutch' must be the fluid in the pan.

What I find odd about my readings is that the 'oil temperature clutch' reading showed 142 C (~287 F) when the car wasnt even running. When this picture was taken, the car had been sitting in the garage for 12+ hours. Also, none of the other temperatures from the DCT are anywhere near this high...they're all much closer to the ambient temp of the garage. Also also, I watched this temp drop from 142 down to 53 within about 45 seconds. The temp would jump up or down about 4 degrees with every refresh of the scanner. This is all while the engine wasnt even running (key in ignition pressed engine start button once)

So I started the engine and let it idle for about 20 minutes. No codes came up but the 'oil temp clutch' reading maxed out around 81 C which I believe is about right. Went for a quick drive and the overheat code popped up right as I was pulling back into the driveway. I had the car in park while I rearranged some cars in the driveway. Within a few seconds of putting the car back in drive, the overheat message popped up. I had the scanner running but the message went away before I could grab it. The scanner allows me to see a 'freeze frame' of the code and this is what I saw...

Looks like 'Model temperature K1' (clutch pack 1?) hit 91 C which I believe is about the temp where the DCT thermostat opens to allow coolant to run to the radiator in the passenger side front. Seems high considering I only drove for about 10 minutes and never got about 45mph.

I dont know what 'injector sensor, raw value' is. Any ideas?

I'm leaning towards an issue with the oil temp sensor / possibly an exposed wire causing a short or clutches needing replaced (never noticed any slipping). I should be getting a pair of jack stands that work with the BMW jack pads today so I'll get under the car this weekend and see what I can see of the wiring. Otherwise, may pull the transmission and replace that sensor but thats a really big job for me since I've never pulled a transmission before.

One last thing...the scanner lets me see the adaptation and pressure values for each clutch. I have no idea what these values would typically be. Maybe somebody could advise. If the scanner lets me run the clutch adaptation, I may try that before pulling the transmission.

Appreciate 0