View Single Post
      05-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #265
poopdeckpappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I think I'm with you on this one. My car has done this to me on a few occasions, always when shifting very hard and fast at redline on the 1-2 shift. I am 100% sure the clutch pedal is all the way in when this happens. I think I am just trying to force the trans into gear before it wants to. The only times it has done this is when I am launching from a dead stop with some tire-spin present.

I had my old G-tech hooked up the other day and was messing around with 0-60 testing. During my testing, I launched the car at too high RPM a few times which resulted in severe tire spin rather than a good launch. This is when the grind problem really showed up. If I tried to shift into 2nd quickly at redline (and very low vehicle speed due to wheel-spin), I could not get it into gear. This happened 2 times, I believe. If the car hooks up well and is not spinning the tires when shifting gears, I seem to have no grind problem at all. I can shift quickly without issue, although there does always seem to be a bit of a delay engaging 2nd gear, much like any other manual car I have owned. 1-2 shifts are always the hardest to nail fast.

Oh, and I am a BMW Master technician in California. I can tell you that I will not be ripping out my transmission for this problem, unless it gets a lot worse. Judging by the number of us that have experienced this problem, I'd have to say it is an engineering flaw (or just the way they are). I think I am just trying to make the transmission do something it does not want to do.

For those of you that want BMW to replace parts to fix this problem; I would suggest taking the service manager or shop foreman for a drive to show it to them. This is the only way you will get anything done. It will be unlikely that the tech will be able to duplicate the problem, and I doubt you want them beating on your car to verify it.

If anybody in the area wants me to look at this problem for them, I can try to get the ball rolling. If I can get the problem to happen then it is likely that we can get some parts replaced to make you happy. Send me a PM if you'd like.

Andy
Do you think the slipping load, due to tire spin, prevents things from syncing up in the gear box? Not enough load? Just curious.
Appreciate 0