07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
These look awesome bud, such a neat finish! Thanks for the tips and advice, and for taking time to take some pictures.

I had my first go today, and failed miserably. I used a low grade sand paper to remove the chrome, then washed it clean, dried it, and then had a go with a first coat. I sprayed in linear motions from one end all the way to the other, and did it twice for a single coat, but it turned out to be too much since it started dripping. Once dried I used a finer paper to sand down the thicker areas and then rewashed and gave it a second coat, but now its completely uneven and the areas I sanded to remove the drops are now still exposed. I look at how perfect my MR one from Bimmian is and I realise how much I still have to learn about being able to use spray paints effectively lol.

I'll strip it down and start again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the compliments! Just go easy on the coats and slowly build them up, I think I applied 5-6 light coats of color and 3 light coats of clear. I'll admit I sanded down my first attempt as well and resprayed.

Good call on rinsing them off after sanding, I forgot to mention that, you want a clean surface for the paint to adhere to.

I don't think I could get the rich, deep automotive gloss finish that Bimminian or IND can produce, but for $10 in supplies and a few hours I think they look damn good!