View Single Post
      11-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #38
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The interior is not really any worse than a lower end BMW.
Lower end BMWs have exactly the same quality as the higher ones; it's just that people hit denial when they spend a lot of money on extra buttons.
Quote:
If you don't think that electric is the future for powertrains, you are in complete denial.
It is the future, but it's not today. If I was to buy a BEV now, I would drive it 300 or so miles, and that would be that because I have no way of filling it up. I'm interested in getting in a car and going somewhere today, not in the future. Unless it's a DeLorean.
Quote:
Tesla has come this far with no novel battery chemistry. They are already good enough for a lot of people in the US, which means they are more than that for most of Europe.
Except your cars are on average twice the size by overall volume, which is a factor for battery deployment, and more than 80% of you charge them at home. The environment in "Europe" is generally very different.
Quote:
Billions and billions of R&D dollars are being spent on batteries and supercapacitors. The next breakthrough will come and it will make ICE passenger cars obsolete.
I am sure, and look forward to what the industry has to offer (not Tesla perhaps, as it won't sell affordable cars anywhere but home) but there is a good decade to go. EVs are great as - literally - a vehicle for the next generation of battery technology and that's a good thing, particularly if they can make and recycle them without using so much energy that actually an ICE car is net more efficient.
Quote:
I am an M car fan, but this is undeniable. You might change your story if you've ever driven a car with a good EV powertrain.
I did. It was weird, like sensory deprivation. It would take some getting used to. However, as driving is no longer pleasurable anyway because of the density of traffic, the intense camera scrutiny, the worsening driving standards... perhaps this is no loss. Bring on the appliance!
Appreciate 0