Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
I don't have any specific plans but if things come together would love to hit Sonoma and Thunder Hill. I doubt a typical HPDE but most likely SCCA or NASA. At the least it would need to be open passing. Oh and a high sound limit.
hehe we just dealt with sound limits this summer at both of those tracks. My friend has a 996 Cup Car. It's...uhhh....loud. So, on his first session at Sonoma, he gets dinged for sound. He blew 107db. Sound limit is 103. The microphone is on the front straight near the Start/Finish line. He eased off the gas on the front straight a bit and didn't have any more problems.

Next day at Thunderhill, he was sweating about the sound limit. They also have a 103db sound limit. Even at full blast, he did not have any trouble at Thunderhill.

The difference between Sonoma and Thunderhill is that Sonoma has a ton of walls, billboards and vertical hard surfaces near the front straight that really make all the sound reflect back in on itself which does not help when you're dealing with a sound limit. Thunderhill is very wide open by comparison which can help the sound escape.

The other thing we heard from some random person at Thunderhill is that the staff there can be a bit mellow about sound limits-----unless the executive staff is in the office and the windows are rattling when cars go by. Apparently, they get annoyed and start checking into why their windows are rattling! hahahahaha
Appreciate 2
PrimeBMW661.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00